Friday, October 14, 2016

Learning in New Settings

Jordy with his Soccer Camp coaches

Just as soon as we returned from our Newfoundland trip, it was Soccer Camp for one week.  As you know, Cygni asked to quit dance last year and told us she would like to play soccer.  I agreed, but I wasn't sure about signing up for a whole season of soccer. I thought a week-long camp might be a good way for her to have a taste and see if she would like it.  After telling Jordan about it he said he wanted to give it a go as well.  I was really rather hesitant about this, but figured, "What the heck, it's just one week!" So signed them both up.

Cygni was a tiny bit nervous, but almost immediately she found a familar face, 
her friend Aliyah from Pre-school!

And in no time at all she was off and running, and kicking the ball!  She loved it!


I was right to feel trepidatious about Jordan.  He did not want to leave my side to go off with his team, and not wanting to give up, I went with him on that first day and did all the drills alongside him!  After day one, we had a long talk about how Coach Christian would be his buddy and would work closely with him, and that I would still be nearby so he could come and give me a hug any time he liked; I asked him if he could be brave and go play with his team on his own and he agreed.   Well, on day two I was doing drills again!  I got lots of sympathy and encouraging words from the other parents, and the coaches had no problem letting me participate.  But I (and consequently, Jordan,) couldn't play when they had actual matches, and a couple of the games. I didn't see the point of continuing on if it was going to be this way the rest of the week, but I didn't want to give up either!  I thought I would give it one more day.  I bribed J-man with a trip to Toys'r'Us if he could get up the courage to try on his own on Wednesday.  You probably guessed, he lost his nerve.  BUT... Aliyah's Dad Robin, who is a coach for the organisation in charge of the camp, and a soccer player himself, came up to us just after roll call, he introduced himself to Jordan and invited him to play around with him, just the pair of them.  J was a reluctant so I stayed close while the two played around.  Coach Robin found the key in making him smile and allowing him to goof.  They tried a few drills and hung out for about 20 minutes until Coach Robin said, "Ok, we're going to play one more game, then you're going to go play with your team without Mom!"

And... Jordan DID.

And he did the rest of the week too!

Sure, he came to visit me frequently for hugs, but he was out there without holding my hand!

It goes to show, a little one-on-one and reassurance from the right person can make a huge difference. Thank goodness for people like Coach Robin!



High ten for Coach Robin!

Snack time with his buddy Charlie, who also happens to have a hearing loss and wears HAs


Cygni takes a break, look at those cheeks, rosy from exertion!

Even though C was having a fun time and doing great, I felt bad.  I think she got a bit short-shrifted for her first ever soccer camp.  Even after Jordy got the gumption to play on his own, I was loath to wander too far to the other side of the field to have a look at Cygni just in case J got anxious and wondered where I was.  I managed to do it, and always warned Jordan, but it all came out as slightly unfair to her.  At times I worry that we ask her to be a bigger girl than is fair, out of deference to her Big Brother who has different needs.  Love her to bits, she is a champ about it all.  At the end of camp, her coaches said she is ready for real soccer without a doubt if that is what she wants to do.  We are considering it for the Spring.


Near the end of the summer, I relented and installed SnapChat. 
Hilarity ensued.



And now we come to the first days of school at Birchland!
Here we are walking with our neighbour, Liwei who is in grade 5

Little C with her Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Baruffa

Cygni really enjoys Kindergarten!  I knew she would.  But she had some separation issues the first couple of weeks, crying for a few minutes when it was time for me to go for four or five mornings. Then suddenly a couple of weeks ago, just before we walked into the doors to the main hall to head for Jordan's class Cygni says, "You go ahead with Jordan, Mom, I am going to go to my class on my own." 
Pardon me? Who are you and what have you done to my daughter?
I met her just after I dropped J-man off and she was perfectly happy.  Some days she wants to go on ahead to class and let me catch up later, and sometimes she walks with us to Jordy's class first.  She knows all of her classmates and greets them as they arrive in the morning, one of the Dad's called her "The Welcoming Committee" yesterday! So far, so good.


Cygni logs her attendance on the class Smart Board


Jordan is also doing well, though I haven't gleaned that from anything he's told me!  But he is always positive about going to school and always happy when I pick him up.  His teacher, Mrs. Odberg is very impressed with his reading ability and says he is engaged and participates in class.  For a while there he was too anxious to go use the toilet at school, but we had a break-through on Thursday and he went! I was very concerned about this, because in the past when he has had to go and didn't ask he would get stressed out, be unable to concentrate (understandably!) and it lead to behavioural issues.  He is very slowly learning about self-advocacy.  Every day I try asking him a very specific question about his school day and he usually answers with, "I don't know."  But I have heard only good things about him, so I figure all is well for now.  He currently has an Educational Assistant in his classroom and she works with him a great deal and helps him to the washroom, etc., though she is available to help others in his class.  I do have some mild concerns about how he will handle the inevitable transition away from Miss Clark, as she is only a casual in-fill for a vacant position.  I have been warned that there is unlikely to be any notice when the job is officially filled so we are trying to brace ourselves for that eventuality.  But it does grate on me that a role which works so frequently with children who struggle with abrupt changes gives no quarter to transition time. I will leave it at that. For now.


It does my heart good to hear shouts of, "Hey Jordan!" "See ya later, Jordan!" as we walk to and from school; and the warmth and acceptance of the children at Birchland speaks to me about hope.  His classmates noted immediately his HAs, and one girl asks me about them regularly.  And Mrs. O told me that once when Jordy left class to see the resource teacher one of the kids asked why Jordan has to leave sometimes; they had a really good discussion about how some kids need extra attention and they could help by being good friends, making sure that he knows they are talking to him by touching his arm to get his attention first, etc.  It was nice to hear.  She says a few of the kids have really taken him under their wings.  He permits me to walk him to class and leave him at the door with a hug and kiss, wishes for a great day and nothing more!  He understands that I have to get Cygni to class on time too, and now he has friends to chat with before class begins!  I think we are off to a great start.


Let's see, what other updates do we have?  

Cygni now rides her bicycle without training wheels too! She is gunning for a new bike (there's a cute one with ice cream cones all over it at Cap's that she fell in love with,) and helmet, but Chris and I can't agree yet about whether or not to buy her a summer gift as winter is about to set in.  So she may have to wait til Spring.  

Jordan currently has two loose teeth that will probably be out before Remembrance Day.  

Chris just told me he is not the biggest fan of his commute these days, since he is alone in the car he can no longer use the commuter lane, and it makes for much worse traffic.  Our commute is pretty good, other than running into the occasional bear!  Not to worry! In this neighbourhood we know all about bears, we haven't been in any serious danger, closest we came was one about  20 feet away from us on the path and we diverted at the same time he loped off.  They're just out foraging for food, and generally avoid human entanglements, long as you don't have the misfortune of coming between a mama and cub.  Should be zero concerns once the frost sets in though.


The kids are growing like weeds, so check the sidebar to the right for updates to their clothing sizes. 

Grandparents considering clothing gifts for Christmas, we can always use hoodies, the kids love them but they get dirty easy so they are always in the wash so we can't have enough of them, and J&C both could use new roomier winter coats, though the ones they have right now will certainly serve til the Holidays. American Grandfolks, I have a VERY hard time finding "husky" sizes for our chunky boy up here in Canada, so if you see any size M/8-10, husky pants (elastic waist preferred,) please pick them up and send them, I will pay for them!


Took a trip to Maan Farm on Thanksgiving Weekend and picked some pumpkins!

These kids are really looking forward to Halloween!


Happy Fall!

No comments: